You get back pain or neck pain or shoulder pain mainly due to wrong postures, repeated use of one part of the body without proper rest, using improper beds, sofas, office desk and chairs, and eating the wrong foods, at wrong times.
The above factors lead to muscle stiffness and the muscles in the affected area lose strength due to which the pressure will go to the nerve. This will result in the knotting of nerves and the resultant pain will radiate through the surrounding areas. If this not treated promptly and properly then the pressure will go to the disk and result in disk compression, never pinching, etc.
If you are doing one or more of the following, you have/ will have a problem.
- Not having a proper posture while working on the computer. (Most of the time, the computer is kept in a corner and people turn their body to an angle and work. This is not correct. Your computer, when you are working should be straight in front of you, not to the corner)
- Not having a proper posture while watching TV. (Many a time’s people watch TV slouching in the couch or sitting in a wrong position which is not correct.)
- Not having the office desk at a proper height or not adjusting the chair according to the height of the desk.
- Using the same hand or leg repeatedly during work without giving rest.
- Bending the neck to one side while talking on mobile phone for a long time.
- Repeatedly putting the pressure on one side of the body for a long time.
- Standing in one posture for long time.
- Carrying a hand bag or laptop bag on one side for long time
- Keeping the elbow on the door rest while driving.
- Driving long distances without a break.
- Sleeping on a bed or sitting on a sofa which is springy or which is worn-out due to wear and tear.
- Lifting heavy weights which you are not used to.
- Surfing on the net continuously without a break.
- Not eating at the right time or eating wrong food.
- Lack of regular physical exercise.
- Over weight.
If you can correct the above, you can certainly prevent the many disorders such as back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, knee pain etc.
If you are already suffering from the above disorders then do the following.
- Do gentle massages with medicated oil and give hot fermentation to the affected area.
- Correct the postures.
- Rest properly and take short breaks from time to time while working.
- Reduce your weight if you are obese.
- Change your diet.
- Change your bed /chair/sofa, as the case may be, when required.
- Practice suitable yoga postures.
In majority of the cases the above actions will cure the pain permanently. However in some cases, advanced diagnosis, complicated medications, and treatments are required.
Always remember prevention is better than cure. Attend to the problem when it is small.